When into Mobile App development, a query of choosing native or cross platform springs up over and over again. What are the merits or demerits of using a native app development platform, when to consider what aspects of hybrid platform and what types of apps better suit what platforms, are amongst the few questions people have when wanting to develop a mobile based application.
Native App Development
Imagine a smooth app with more features running quickly, the technology adapting the hardware features like multi-touch and most importantly amazing UI/UX seamlessly suiting the device. Isnâ€™t it the best of all one wants from an app? These are the merits of using a NATIVE platform for mobile app development. But from the developerâ€™s point of view, native apps cost gets higher. Other than that, developing an app for one platform keeps your brand still unreached to the other platform users. Thus, more cost into developing more apps differently. Lastly, app maintenance is higher as compared to the hybrid apps.
Popular just by the name â€śTitaniumâ€ť, it is an open source software development kit for cross platform mobile development. Naturally, youâ€™ll get this benefit of developing on one platform and making code additions and changes for other systems.
It is known for its Rapid development characteristic. In case of quick testing, the developers can create a prototype, show it to their clients giving a rough idea regarding the product to be developed and once approved, the developer can move ahead with proper web app building, Basically titanium uses JS, so it is convenient for use on part of the coders. On the other hand, Titanium is good only for small projects. Titanium serves best for Database centric applications. It cannot handle many features.
PhoneGAP App Development
Supported for all major platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, Phonegap has certain specs to be kept in mind.
- It primarily uses HTML, CSS and JS.
- Apps can be installed just like native application
- Available for free of cost
- Follows a plugin architecture
- Yet, of all these benefits, It still lacks performance.
Xamarin App Development
When looking for better performance, one must go for Xamarin.
- It allows code completion in C#, yet keeping the UI designs to be over Native.
- It provides a unique quality of Code sharing with the server.
- Xamarin holds the same APIs and UI controls that are used to build the iOS, Android & Mac apps in their corresponding platform specific languages.
- It can be easily maintained and the best is its reusable structure.
- It gives importance to use of MVC and similar large scale architectures.
- One backlog here is that it is not available for free i.e it is not an open source platform like other cross platform kit.
To conclude, each platform has its own good and bad sides. So choose the one that best serves the purpose. At certain point there would be requirement of performance at others, cost may have to be given prime importance. Itâ€™s just that one is better in certain aspects while others are not. Each development platform is a good choice. You must only know what your real requirements are.